Monday, November 22, 2010

Books, Books, and more Books


I spent the weekend spread between three books and the Bible. I know many of my posts lately have been on the topic of reading, but I guess it is just that season for me. Not to mention, I was really excited about having my first weekend since August without a single place that I HAD to be. Therefore, between reading, laundry, cleaning, exercising, and church I would say it was a GREAT weekend! Zeb and I also got to cook out with my soon to be brother in-law and his amazing girlfriend Katy, who just happens to be one of my bridesmaids, on Saturday evening which was so fun! Anyway, back to the books.


Book 1-The Volunteer Revolution


This book is great because it talks about volunteerism. If I could be a full time volunteer, you better believe I would. I am not sure why I was given such a servant's heart, but I was and I embrace it. The thing I like about this book is it talks about how to get others to embrace the volunteer in them. You see, everyone wants to do something more besides work and give their time freely or so I like to think. This book likes to think that too and that is why I like it.


Book 2-Confessions of a Pastor


I picked this book up a couple weeks ago at my church. They had their annual volunteer appreciation event and were handing out free stuff. I already have all of Pastor Craig's other books so I decided to grab this one. I love how transparent and vulnerable Craig is in this book. In this book he confesses various struggles in his life. He shows everyday readers how everyday and normal he actually is. It is a quick and easy read.
Book 3-Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Re-visited

This is the book that comes with the Financial Peace University kit. It is hard, challenging, refreshing, and scary all in one. Dave challenges readers to break free from the bondage of debt with practical steps. The catch is, you have to be willing to stop living like majority of Americans. You have to stop consuming more than you can afford. You have to put limits in your life. You have to say enough is enough. Most importantly, when you are heavily in debt you have to be willing to take drastic steps that seem crazy to everyone else in order to pull out. He promises though, that only when you are willing to live like no one else will you then be able to live like no one else. I am so looking forward to that. The best part is his story. He is not teaching this from research, he is teaching it from experience. He went bankrupt at 30 with a wife and 4 kids. He changed his life and now he is helping millions of others do the same. Thanks Dave.


Book 4-The Bible

I started the Gospels this weekend. The book of Matthew is beautiful. I also started a reading plan on Youversion.com. It is a 1-month Christmas reading plan that re-defines Christmas. This will force me to be in the Word everyday. I know this should be easy, but it just is not. I get caught up in other books (see above) and everyday life. I get lost in my all about me syndrome and forget that this life is not all about me at all. Thanks YouVersion for providing such valuable resources.


Finally, I decided this weekend what my end goal is in my career life. I want to own a bookstore. It will include lots of comfy spots for people to plop down and read. It will most definitely have a coffee shop. It will probably include a kids reading section. But most importantly, it will allow for me to create a community around things I love. I envision it to be a place my family can hang out at, my employees will be engaging, and my customers will be friends. I know I have entertained my closest loved ones with lots of career plans in my adult life, but this is the one I hope sticks. And until then...I will just keep reading.

No comments: