Friday, January 21, 2011

It's Wierd and Totally Radical and I Love It!


So it is official. I have caught the Dave Ramsey fever. This guy is amazing. I first heard about Dave Ramsey and his money saving common sense almost 2 years ago. At that point I was ignorant. I thought, "people don't live without debt, that is unheard of." So of course I did not re-visit it. Well about 6 months ago I ran across a conversation with a co-worker about Dave. She told me about how her and her husband had been debt free for 5 years now and it was all thanks to Dave. She swears by his Financial Peace University. At this point I was curious.


Long story short, I got the FPU kit about a month later and immediately started reading his books. Now the first of the year has come and gone, I am 4 months from getting married and DYING to be debt free. I am so glad to have a future husband that is on board and wants to be just as WIERD as me! We have committed to this. We have no plans of buying a house until we are completely debt free. Even at that point we want to be able to pay as much cash for it as possible if not all of it! I know...WIERD! We will never finance another vehicle. I know..WIERD! We will pay for everything we can with cash. WIERD!


So I am really excited about this, but here is the cold hard truth...it is painful to think about. Not the debt free part, but the getting there part. Sacrifices must be made. We must sacrifice time and stuff to do this. Dave says the only way to get out of debt as fast as you can is to generate as much income as you can until there is no more debt. Well, guess what that means? I get to get a second job! Yep, starting next week I get to work 20 hours a week at Quizno's. This is definitely what I went to grad school for...to get a job in my field of study and then get another job to generate more income (Sarcasm). Oh and I am also super excited about selling anything and everything that is not a necessity. But really, I am not that upset about all of it. I created the debt and now I have to work hard to get rid of it. We are also limiting our lifestyle as much as possible all while paying for a wedding...ugh. We can do this. I am thinking at least 3 years to get there, but we can do this. I have faith. I will do anything at this point to be released from being a slave to the lender.


With all of this said I am pumped about not owing anyone money. I cannot wait until the day that the only payments I have are rent and utilities. An even better day will be just utilities. It will be a long road, but I am willing to stay the course. I know that this discipline and these sacrifices now will serve us and our family the best in the future. We have caught the fever. We want to live like no one else now so we can live like no one else later!


P.S. I got the email today saying that I was chosen to volunteer at the Dave Ramsey event next month in OKC! I can't wait!


So...are you ready to start living wierd or have you been already?

1 comment:

Megan said...

Sasha, this is awesome! A few years back my parents started the Dave program. We call him "Uncle Dave" at our house. They have come so far and the only debt they have is their house and one car, but they are still going strong!! It can be done, and it has been done! There were times I hated Uncle Dave, but it so worth it! I am excited to hear more about your journey! "Live like no else, so you can LIVE like no one else!" :) Enjoy his event next month!