Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Learning on My Own Terms

So since I graduated in May, I have found that I have LOTS of free time. I frequently find myself browsing for new things to learn and try. I thought I would share the 5 things that I have been working at learning lately.






1. Cooking-This is not something I grew up doing. My parents always made me great meals and I never participated in the preparation of these meals. Therefore, this is something I am trying to learn. I find it fascinating that there really is an art behind cooking a good meal. I often fail at the simplest things like chicken or potatoes. My first successful meal that I am very proud of came from this amazing blog- http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/creamy-chicken-enchiladas.html. You must try this recipe! You will not regret it...maybe only the calories you consumed, but even then it is totally worth it!



2. Pilates-For anyone that knows me pretty well, knows that I LOVE a good pilates workout. Therefore, I am trying to learn how to be better so I can actually teach. Of course, in order to teach I will need to be certified and so that is also on my list of things to do in the near future. I would love to teach others the beauty of pilates and their bodies!




3. Biblical Stories-I have been trying to learn more stories of the bible. This is imperative to me in order to be a good Sunday School teacher, a good friend, sister, daughter and one day a good wife and mother.




4. Korean-I know this seems so completely random, but I have a couple students that are here from Korea. They do not speak or understand English that well. I thought I would try to learn some common phrases and terms to make this communication easier between us. It is not easy. In fact it seems impossible. I won't stop trying though, it's kinda fun.




5. Football-This one is mainly for Zeb. He loves it. I don't understand it. I mean I understand the general idea and I know the end goal, but everything in between is a train wreck to me. If I can at least have some knowledge of the plays and what's happening on the field, the game watching experience might be more enjoyable for both of us.


So, I would love to know...what have you been learning lately?

1 comment:

The Undomestic Goddess said...

We are so alike! I've been the same way ever since I graduated! I've been learning how to knit, cook, decorate cakes and I'm currently researching how to start my own vegetable garden here in the Tucson heat!
I think it's absolutely fantastic that you continue to learn, it makes for an open-minded person! Good luck in your "studies"!
XOXO