Monday, January 24, 2011

Bias Confirmed. Life Sucks.


I remember the days when I used to complain about everything. You name it and I could tell you what was wrong with it. The upside to things didn't really process much in my mind because they were so clouded by the downside.


Now, I never complain. I love everything and everyone. I can't even begin to start a complaint because my heart has been completely transformed. I see the good in everything and realize everything is for the "good of his grace". I rejoice constantly.


And I would be completely lying to you if all of the above were true. Although I was challenged by my Pastor yesterday to change my life, it will take some time and a sore tongue for quite a while. He challenged me (well the entire congregation) to bite my tongue every time I even begin to complain. Try to talk while biting your tongue...you can't do it. After you bite your tongue think of something new to say that does not include complaining.


"Do everything without grumbling or arguing"-Philippians 2:14


There is a confirmation bias that supports a lot of complaining. You go into something and already had your mind made up about it before and therefore your bias has been confirmed. You are now free to grumble at it for as long as you deem necessary.


You are like a child (or many young adults) that has been blessed to the "n"th degree by your parents and yet "life still sucks". Can you imagine how that makes your parents feel? Take it even further, how do you think God feels?


Your spouse leaves socks on the floor everyday and everyday you tell he/she to pick them up. You can't stand that he/she can't make it to the laundry basket. He/she has had enough and now you are on the road to divorce.


Do you see the trend in complaining? I am as guilty as they come, but yesterday I decided I want to be different. I want to rejoice and be thankful for all that I have. I want to know that His grace is involved in all that comes my way, good or bad.
If there was ever a bandwagon to jump on this would be it! Who's in?

No comments: