Sunday, July 7, 2013

Experimenting with Over 2,500 Other Starters

Tomorrow I will begin an experiment with over 2,500 people and it all started with a tweet by Jon Acuff a couple weeks ago. Jon tweeted the link to his blog that stated that he was looking for adventurers for 24 hours. If you wanted in on this adventure, you were to email him with your name, address, and phone number. That was it. He didn't bother sharing what might happen or what risks were involved, but I decided I was in.

Let's stop there.

Back in February I attended Advocare's conference called Success School. It is a two and a half day event that happens twice a year. It includes lots of recognition, big announcements, and leadership training. One of the training's was done by a leader in the company named Jason Pannell. He talked about a lot of things, but there was one thing that he yelled at us with such conviction, it has yet to escape me. In fact, I replay it in my head almost daily. I also believe it was playing loud and clear the day Jon solicited adventurers.

"You are so busy thinking what if I fail? WHAT IF YOU DON'T?!"

I read something tonight in a book titled Daring Greatly by Brene Brown. Dr. Brown does a lot of research on one topic that I believe feeds fear regularly, vulnerability. In this book she talked about a time when she was doing research and she asked her subjects to talk about some of their most meaningful relationships or feelings of connection. All of them immediately began talking about the times they felt the least connection or the greatest betrayal. In being asked to talk about this it was easier for every one of them to talk about the lack of relationship or connection.

In thinking about adventure, it is easier to think about all the reasons it might not work, but what if it does?

You see I don't believe this desire for adventure, risk, or punching fear in the face started a couple weeks ago with a tweet by Jon Acuff. I believe it began stirring in my heart in February or before. It has been simmering for quite some time, but now there is someone to help bring it to light. There is more heat to allow it to boil over. So tomorrow I will take one more baby step by accepting an email from Jon that begins this experiment. Next Monday I will begin 24 days of taking tiny baby steps towards something. I don't have a clue what that something is yet, but I know this. My heart has been anxious for quite a while. I have encouragement from 2,500 other people that are starting the path to their own fears dreams. I have what it takes. I am enough.

Sounds like I have all I need.

"No matter what gets done and how much is left undone, I am enough. Yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable and sometimes afraid, but that doesn't change the truth that I am also brave and worthy."-Dr. Brene Brown

Each time he said, "my grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.-2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments: