Monday, September 9, 2013

What is This All About??

Happy Monday! There is SO much to look forward to this week. It is my favorite time of year and I can never get enough of the food and friends that accompany this season. I am even more excited to be headed to Stillwater this weekend. We will get to tailgate and enjoy a gameday in Stillwater for the first time in 2 years!!

The event bringing us to Stillwater is also very exciting. Many of you may have been wondering, what in the world is this 5K that Sasha keeps posting about. Well, let me explain. About a year ago, Russ and Sarah, made the trip to Lubbock for a wedding. Russ and Zeb went to highschool together and a guy they also went to highschool with was getting married. It was like a HS reunion for Zeb. Anyway, Russ and Sarah stayed the weekend with us. Sarah and I got to talking and I learned of their 5 year struggle to get pregnant. I also learned that they had recently made the decision to adopt. She told me about the process, but what pulled my heart strings was the cost. I just couldn't imagine going through years of trying to get pregnant and eventually having to cough up over $20,000 just to be a parent. I mean that's just to have it in your hands and call him/her yours. That's not even counting everything you need for the baby. I wanted to do something.

In that same hand, I have wanted to start a 5K in Stillwater for a long time. Stillwater is near and dear to my heart and I just believe in the community there and also have lots of friends still in the area. This is where the 5K was born. So In February I set out to get it going and over the last 7 months it has been a project I have put A LOT of time and effort into and to be honest I am very proud of what has come so far. When deciding what weekend to do the run, I thought Fall Family Weekend was a perfect time. The Cowboy Campus Tour theme was hatched from that. With new students and families on campus, we thought it would be fun to give "the fastest campus tour" around. We were blessed with sponsorships from Chik-fil-a and El Vaquero. Pistol Pete will begin the race with the shooting of his gun. We have managed to accumulate some runners and baby, this Cowboy Campus Tour 5K IS HAPPENING!

We are doing a second philanthropy with the money as well. We have received some student scholarship applications and will be selecting a student to receive some money from the run. I remember being a student and knowing any opportunity to get some extra money was always a plus. I am excited to help give back to OSU in that way.

So there's the explanation. There is the why behind the what and if you want to help too there is still time! Get registered for the run at www.earlysignup.com/campustour to participate. Running is NOT required. In fact, my mother in law will be there and she will be walking! Feel free to join her. We have to get t-shirt orders turned in by tomorrow so if you want one be sure to sign up before then. If you still aren't sure about this whole 5K thing, but want to help Russ and Sarah there is an opportunity to do that too! I set up a FundMe account for them when we got all of this going and you can just donate on there if you feel led to. I know they will appreciate any help from anywhere. That address is www.gofundme.com/russandsarah.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has been supportive so far. Whether you have helped get the word out or actually signed up to be involved I can't thank you enough. I am especially thankful to my co-director Liz for all of her genius thoughts and help, my unofficial helper Bonnie for trying out the course and KNOWING people, and my favorite cheerleader Kali for spreading the word and offering a free registration. Ya'll are wonderful! This has probably been the hardest thing to plan in my life from so far away and so little resources, but I am happy to do it. I believe this is what we were put here to do. Help people.

No comments: