Friday, August 6, 2010

Expectations

I read a blog today of one of my very best friends who is traveling the world right now to show love to people every where for the Kingdom of God. In this blog she made some very interesting comments that just hit me point blank. Expectations. She talked about the expectations that she and the team had when entering Haiti. She talked of how they expected to see hurt, pain, poverty, and more. She talked of how they expected to go in on a relief mission. Only, when they got there they saw so much more. They saw hope and redemption. They saw happiness and love. They saw everything they expected, but then saw the power of God working unbelievably. They weren't there on a relief mission at all.

Now, I have yet to go on a mission trip in my adult life. Therefore, I live vicariously through my friends who have done so or are doing so now. Every time I have a friend go on a mission trip I follow their blog obsessively. I want to know their every move and influence. I want to experience what they are experiencing. I love reading about the work they are doing and the miracles that God is performing. It is a beautiful and humbling experience.

Now back to the point of this blog. Tara talked about how their expectations were completely misguided. They were guided by their own thoughts and hearts. They were not guided by God's plans or heart. The reason this impacted me so much is because I can relate. So many times in my life I find myself following my own heart. I find myself trying to figure out what it is that I am suppose to do. Far too often do I rely on my own expectations and plan rather than the plan of God. Tara's blog served as a challenge for me today. I want to challenge myself to enter situations with God in mind. I want to put my own fears aside and look at the reason that God has put me in this position at this time in my life. I want to challenge you to do the same.

What has God put in your life that requires relying on him instead of yourself?

"For this God is our God for ever and ever: He will be our guide even unto death."-Psalm 48:14

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sasha! This is your auntie, Dina. (John's and Gaspar's mother).

Just to say hi. Your blog reminded me of my mission in life, to help others. I went to Haiti too and it is such a humbling experience. I can invite you to go too, I can go with the Jeffrey Cherubin Domond Foundation. Let me know.

Dina Ross

Robin said...

SASHA!

Thanks for starting to blog again. I really enjoy reading your thoughts (and miss chatting-as life has gotten SO busy!).

For me, life seems like a constant road of "trust and know God has something better in store." I am 2 weeks (or less) away from having our first kiddo...and I know that God has put us here in this place-because it's where we are supposed to be for right now. I NEVER thought we would move to Oklahoma...let alone back to my hometown here in Wichita. God works in weird ways...I just wish sometimes I knew a bit of a "preview" of what was to come...but I guess that's part of the fun and mystery...so we keep on trusting that He has a plan (because I'm pretty sure that all these "coincidences" aren't by chance...!) Looking back at the past few years, I can see how everything has led up to where we are now: the people, the places, the experiences. It's amazing.

Thanks for taking time to write this post and reflect. :-)

Sash said...

Thanks Robin! I am glad you appreciate my blog. I can't wait to see the baby! Good luck in the delivery!

And Dina yes I do remember you! I am glad to hear from you!