Monday, August 2, 2010

Your Trash is my Treasure

I woke up bright and early Saturday morning for one of two reasons. I was either going to run in hopes of ending my lazy streak or go wandering around town at garage sales. You could probably imagine the difficulty in making this decision, shop or exercise? Well, as expected I chose to shop. I texted Zeb at 7 am to tell him to hurry over so we could get started, time was ticking and I was sure garage sale enthusiasts were well ahead of me! I jotted down six addresses and waited in anticipation.

You see garage sales are simple. They offer the opportunity to appreciate something that someone else no longer appreciates. In a world where the latest new iphone or high tech computer is constantly in demand, I find it thrilling when I can make use of the old. This has been a theme lately. I literally spent hours in an antique shop just a few weeks ago. There is just something so refreshing about wandering among aisles of stuff older than I am! It offers a sense of nostalgia and futuristic optimism all in one. I love to imagine what it would have been like to live in the 50's or 40's when this or that was new and all the rave! I yearn for the simplicity of the past.


I couldn't help but wonder what I would find during that trip on Saturday. The original nintendo? The golden books? A VHS player? I wanted something familiar. I wanted something to remind me that the past was not too far off. So as I had hoped, I got just that. After 6 houses and about 30 miles covered, I found just what I needed to leave me on a good note for the day. I found a collection of Sonic-drive in glasses. I was immediately thrown into my childhood. I purchased two for 20 cents and went about my day gleaming with happiness. Your trash became my treasure.


Simplicity is beautiful...especially for 20 cents.

4 comments:

tex2888 said...

so why did'nt you buy all six? you could have given them for xmas gifts! lol

Sash said...

very true...I should have! :)

PK said...

I love garage sales! Call me next time! Pat and I have found out lately that in the old, you can always make something new- so fun and exciting!

Sash said...

I definitely will!