Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Words from the Wise


I am one of those people that loves advice. I am enthusiastic about receiving wise words from anyone willing to give them...especially old people. When I say old people I mean that in the most delicate way. I would venture to say that most people over the age of 60 are the wisest of them all. This could possibly be because they have lived the longest and just have a really good idea of what life is all about. Regardless of what it is that makes them so insightful, I admire them and their knowledge. I seek it out and sometimes almost to the point that I probably look like a crazy person!


So what exactly has taken me down this path of cherishing sharp knowledge from the elderly today? Well if you must know, it started with a book that Zeb and I stumbled across at Walgreens. We were roaming and just happened to find ourselves staring at the books. I picked up the book titled, "A Love That Lasts". This is a compilation of stories from couples that have been married over 50 years and the best advice they can give. JACKPOT!! This is the perfect reading material to buy, read, read again, and hold onto for life. I mean I may not be married, but there is something to take away from this book for just about any significant relationship in your life. I was so happy as well when I found that Zeb was just as excited to purchase and read it as I was, and if he wasn't he put on a pretty good show!


We have gotten through about 3/4 of the book and it is fabulous! We sat and read it together which made it all the more enjoyable. We laughed at some of the stories and related to even more. We took away some great notes and things to remember when we are down right angry with eachother. It was quite the bonding experience as well. So, I will leave you with some secrets from the book that were my favorite(obviously I couldn't tell you the stories, so you will have to interpret them in your own way) and with one piece of advice of my own.


1. Don't assume the "I Love You's"

2. Spend your efforts looking for ways to strengthen your marriage, not for escape hatches

3. Flexibility: It's not just for your joints and muscles

4. Don't just be lovers, be friends

5. Make your marriage better tomorrow than it is today (this is good advice, I don't care who you are)

6. Share a spiritual journey


And my own insight: Show love first, it would be almost impossible not to get it back. :)


"My command is this: Love eachother as I have loved you"-John 15:12
P.S. Thanks for loving me Zeb. ♥



3 comments:

Lacie said...

Sasha,

You are seriously a kind hearted person!! I love that I got to grow up with your family as "one of the girls" and got to be like a sister to all three of you!!!! I hope your realationship with Zeb is everything you want and more because you deserve it!!! I love you!!

Sash said...

Thanks Lacie! That means a lot! I love you too! Good luck with the baby! I can't wait to see Baby Bratzel number 2!

Malarie Johnson said...

I love your blog! You are totally motivating me to really want to start one..haha hopefully it happens :) I want this book once you are done, I love old married couple advice..Love you sash!!