Monday, October 4, 2010

Faith Without Action is Dead


Over the last 4 weeks I have had the pleasure of listening to a series at my church titled "I Believe In You". This is a phrase that I think is not used nearly enough in our society today. Aside from being used, I do not think it is something that is shown very often either. The first week of this series was an emotional one for me. It talked about the need for older people to pour into the lives of younger ones in order to continue to build the future. As this series came to a close yesterday, we were challenged to think about two things. First, I should think about all of the people who have believed in me and helped me get to where I am today. Second, we should think about who we want to believe in to help them on their journey.

They have provided for me from day one. They have been at every sport game and event in my life. They taught me right from wrong. They taught me discipline. They gave me advice. They loved me. They are my parents and they believed in me.

She has been by my side for a lot. She has offered a shoulder to cry on and a hand to hold. She has played nearly every sport with me. She has financially supported me in times of need. She has loved me through everything. Her name is Maegan and she has believed in me.

She has made me laugh. She has listened when it seemed like no one else would. She has supported me in everything. She has been goofy with me. She has loved me. Her name is Crissy and she has believed in me.

She has always visited as much as she could. She watched me grow up from a distance. She has never missed a major life event. In recent years she has become a good friend. She has listened and offered advice. She has supported me spiritually. She is my Grandma and she has believed in me.

She has been my friend since the 8th grade. She has been through just about everything you could imagine. She has supported me in everything I have done, not just through her words but also her actions. She has loved me through and through. Her name is Amy and she has believed in me.

She has not been in my life for very long, but I know she will be there for years to come. She has guided me in every aspect of my life. She has seen me cry and made me laugh. She has given me second chances. She helped me prepare for grad school and always encouraged me. She is such a good friend. Her name is Summer and she has believed in me.

This blog could go on forever. There are so many more people that have done something in my life to help me get to where I am today. They believed in me. They may have never used their physical words to say that, but their actions meant so much more. Just like Jesus says in James 2:17, "faith by itself, if not accompanied by action, is dead". If they would have never shown me through their actions that they believed in me, I may have never known. I may have never made it to where I am today. Thank you so much for believing in me.

That was the easy part. Challenge 2 is what is a little harder for me. I have to now impart my legacy on another person. This does not require just believing in another person. It requires believing in myself so much so that I act in someone else's life. This is the challenge that I will take on. I want so much to make a difference in someone else's life, the person that is or the shape that will take is the unknown. I just pray that when that time comes for me to shape someone else's life based off my belief in them that it will be accompanied with my actions.

Finally, I challenge you to do the same. Make a difference in someone else's life. Believe in someone else. Be the change we so desperately need in this world today.

I. Believe. In. You.

2 comments:

PK said...

thanks for the challenge! I am so ready to watch this series, I have heard so many amazing things about it

Anonymous said...

Sarsh. Frunds (that was my key word to spell out to prove I'm not a hacker... so I took it as a sign to write instead of FRIENDS) give each other second chances. All the time.

I know without a doubt that you are leaving a legacy on others' lives-- even if you can't see the results right away. You've made differences without even pausing because that's who you already are!

Good luck! Go! Change the world. You probably already have. :)