Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Wal-Mart Experience


Yesterday I witnessed something so precious. Now, I realize that I may be the only one that finds it so wonderful because when I told Zeb he just looked at me with a puzzled expression, but nonetheless that single interaction changed my whole attitude.


As I was leaving Wal-Mart I glanced over at the little old lady that works as the greeter. This woman is there just about every time I go to Wal-Mart. Morning, night, Sunday, Thursday...you name it she is probably there. She never lets me down. She smiles and asks how I am doing everytime I walk in and waves goodbye everytime I leave. Only this time she did not say goodbye. I looked over at her expecting it and that is when I got to see the interaction between her and an old man. She said hello as she always does and then proceeded to ask how he was doing.


Before I go any further, I just want to embarrassingly admit that 99% of the time I do not even think before answering that question. No matter how I am actually doing, there is a response already ingrained in my head...Good. That is always my response. I continue on in my tunnel focused on where it is I am going and what I am needing.


At that moment, the man reached over and warmly, with a smile and all, patted the lady on her back and responded with, "I woke up this morning, so I guess that's pretty good!" And there it was, my face lit up. I loved witnessing that. I can't quite explain why. Maybe it was the appreciation for life in that sentence, maybe it was the time taken to pat her on the back, maybe it was the smile, or maybe it was just the fact that his answer wasn't the standard "good" that we all say time and time again. I adore that man for his response. It was optimism at its best and that is powerful.

2 comments:

PK said...

okay so this would have made my day too! I hate that I always say "good" and never think about it- I cringe after everytime I do. It's the small things in life that make a huge difference. So today, I am irritated with school, but blessed that I get to go to school. I am extrememly excited about break and eating A LOT, but nervous about how an extended time with family is going to go.

love you sash!

p.s. I think this is one of your best posts! So sincere :) and it made me think

Sash said...

Thanks Kali! I love that you are a faithful reader! :) Love you back! Hope you have the best holiday with your family and in-laws! Cherish it...you only get one 1st thanksgiving married!