Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Letter to Wedding Planning


Dear Wedding Planning,


First off...you terrify me. I am a girl and most any other girl would be great at this, but me? Me? I am not THAT girl! I can't visualize the tables with the mason jars and daisies. I can't imagine raffia tied around the tops or even tie them for that matter. I can't imagine how the food will be placed. I do not have a clue how to even begin decorating that gazebo. Will it be pretty or a poor attempt at creativity? I don't know how I should wear my hair or how I want my makeup done.


I do not know if my guests will want to dance to the play list I will create. I don't know if they will like our food selection. Will there be enough food? I do not know if pictures will take so long that they will get bored and I don't know how many will actually stay for our exit. Heck, I don't even know how many will come.


Here is what I do know. This process...this crazy wedding planning process...it's a mess. It is fun, yet emotional. It is draining, yet thrilling. It is honestly quite the daunting task. However, my favorite part of everything we have done so far has not even been for the wedding at all! It has been the marriage prep part. I have loved every minute we have spent with our pastor talking about life and love. I have loved the tears I have cried over our differences. I have loved the laughs we have had about meshing two completely different and sinful people into one. I have loved the talks we have had about who will do what chores and how we will get out of debt as quick as possible. I have cherished our conversations about being one unified God fearing family that is focused on serving the Lord first and foremost. Oh and the times we have spent with other Christ centered couples...unbeatable. All of this to prepare for the marriage of a lifetime.


So wedding planning, I hate to say it, but you are nothing compared to marriage planning. Forget the details of the reception and whether to order favors or not. Forget the fears of no one showing up. Forget all of the worries and nightmares I have already begun to have 4 months in advance. Come to think of it, I haven't had a single nightmare of my marriage falling apart. Goes to show what I am most excited about and that is doing life everyday for as long as God allows with the man He hand picked for me. Wedding planning you just don't hold a candle to that.


Love,

Sasha

3 comments:

PK said...

You tell wedding planning who is boss!!! The rafia and gazebo will take care of itself. Who cares if your guests don't like your playlist... you and Zeb do! I'll dance to it! Spend a 100,000,000,000 more times on your marriage than the wedding!

Unknown said...

So, so true Sasha!!!

Megan said...

Sasha, this is great, and so totally true. The most important part of that day is (even if everything else doesn't go as planned) you will married to Zeb and that is all that matters!! So happy for you two! :) Enjoy every second in the next couple of months, they go SO fast!