Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Climb

Yesterday I had the privilege of attending the Women's Entrepreneur (WE) Inspire Conference that was hosted by my very own college that I work for. I was not asked to go for work, I simply went for my own pleasure. The entire day was focused around women business founders and owners. We got to hear from many different women who had begun their own venture and are now doing quite well. There was even a woman who failed once, started over, and is now thriving.

I took many notes throughout the day. I found myself engulfed by all the knowledge there was to take in. I hardly spoke to anyone the whole time I was there, which is rare for me, but yesterday I felt I was called there just to soak. I really felt like yesterday I was just suppose to soak in as much information as I possibly could. When I first found out about this conference a few weeks back I knew I really wanted to go. Yesterday, though, I prayed over and over that God would just allow me to take it all in. I don't know why I wanted to be there so bad or how it would help me in the future, I just knew I was supposed to be there.

We were also able to hear from a woman named Catherine Ann. Her story is incredibly inspiring, so much so that Hollywood is making a movie! She was abused, starved, and homeless most of her life. She never finished high school and had a son at the age of 15, but she didn't let any of that kill her spirit. She kept going and at 35 she started her venture that has now made her a very, very successful woman. If you think you can't do it, you can.

At one point in the day I was sitting there, waiting for the next speaker, and I just began to smile. I could not help, but think about how blessed I felt to be in that position at that time. You see, I believe in the constant cycle of learning. I believe that there is so much to take in from others that you would be foolish not to take advantage of these opportunities. I also believe that I am so lucky to live in a country that these opportunities exist and even luckier to be surrounded by women who want to help other women. I can only hope and pray that one day I can give back and help a young lady the way I have been helped. Finally, I believe that I was made with purpose and while I have not quite figured out what that purpose is yet, I feel closer to it than ever. God is using these opportunities to help me prepare for whatever it is He has in store.

I heard the song "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus twice yesterday! Twice! That is more in one day than I think in the entire last year! God was just trying to get my attention. So like Miley says in the song..."I can almost see it. That dream I am dreaming...It ain't about how fast I get there...it is the climb."

"Everything that happens in the world happens at the time God chooses. He has set the right time for everything. He has given us a desire to know the future, but never gives us the satisfaction of fully understanding what he does"-Ecclesiastes 3:1.11

No comments: