Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Overcoming Fears

In the very early days of June I came across a writing challenge being done at the Ralph Waldo Emerson site. It was a 30 day challenge to write everyday based off the prompt provided. These prompts were all meant to be based off his one piece of work title "Self-Reliance". At the time I hadn't read that, but I was intrigued by the challenge nonetheless. I signed up to receive these daily prompts in my inbox so I could participate. I could challenge my writing and my thinking. I could learn more about myself.

A week ago I was telling a friend about this challenge. This challenge had brought me to reading Self-Reliance and it had brought me to wanting to dig deeper. I told this friend that I was intimidated by the prompts. They dig deep. They ask hard stuff. They were kinda scary and so I never followed through with the challenge. I answered 2 prompts over the last month and that was because I thought they were ones I could handle. The rest went read and unanswered.

Yesterday I felt bold and decided that I was going to take on this challenge head first. Yesterday I decided that for a week I could handle these prompts and show THEM some intimidation. For a week I am going to answer these prompts that find their way into my inbox everyday. For one week, in some way, shape, or word, I am going to respond to these prompts. It may be in one word or many words, but I will at least address the thought at hand.

Today, this is hard. Today I am feeling less bold. Today is day 1...

“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson


What message is yearning inside you? What is something you know deep in your soul? Don’t look for someone else to describe it. You do it. Write it down. Write it as a poem, a sentence or even just a string of words. Just make sure you get it to paper.

Love is a tiny word with a sharp bite. It has profound meaning and depth.

Love is four individual letters that when combined in the right order can bring great responsibility.

Love stirs inside every heart in many different forms. It takes the shape of the owner. It is expressed with the individuality of the person.

Love can and will change your life when you allow it to lead. Where there is love there is hope.

Let love take control.

Love you.
Love them.
Love Him.

No comments: