Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Life of My Own

I never thought I would love a place as much as I love Stillwater. This small town has stolen my heart and is far from giving it back. Aside from being without a Target, well, it is pretty much perfect to my standards.
It started with this color and this mascot. I was hooked the moment I entered campus. I was mesmerized by the amount of orange that flowed from everything.

These buildings became my home my first year. These buildings provided me with a community. The Kerr-Drummond towers were mine and I loved it.
Then I found a home here. Lifechurch.tv. I met some great people, adults and kids. Got baptized, became a volunteer, and basically had my life re-shaped.

"The Strip" is the local nightlife in this small town. I have enjoyed my fair share of this little street, especially one special joint...The Cricket.
I coached an awesome group of little cheerleaders and brought alive my child like side.

And made some super great friends!
Oh! And I fell in love! With a super hot country boy if I might add! :)

And in between all of that I did graduate and actually hold a few jobs. More than anything though, I created a life in this small town. People always ask me why Oklahoma and small town Oklahoma even, but I am slowing learning that Stillwater is far from a small town. Try the one stop sign town. Now that is a small town.

But the reality is I have come to realize I am a small town girl. No one could ever explain it, not even me. I wasn't raised in it, I hadn't had a lot of experience in it, but I dreamed of it and I loved it.

Zeb and I recently visited some friends in small town Texas. Now I think that is the only other place I could love more than this one...it has a Target. :) And there are those big Texas stars everywhere and they actually have annual rodeos. I mean this place is where it is at.

I am not ready for change. I am not ready for change at all and I guess recognizing all the things I love and will miss about this place is the only way to really come to terms with it. Small town America is where my heart will forever lie, whether it is Stillwater or not.

I will face you big city for a short while, but it is only a matter of time before I find a way back to my heart happy home.
I dream of something like this...

in a place like this...

With a few of these...
And these...

And of course these...


Maybe throw in some cows and chickens...and a vegetable garden and pretty much complete madness. But I am excited for that complete madness because it will be mine, God-given, but mine. I get happy just writing about it and thinking about it and dreaming about it.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I love this Sasha. Thank you for sharing!