Wednesday, February 15, 2012

He's My Hero

If you have talked to me since re-locating to Tulsa you should know that my biggest issue with this city is the crime. My friend laughed at me before because I talked about how Tulsa had bad crime, but it turns out they really do. I have been here for 6 months now and there has been at least one murder a week. It seems like everyday I am waking up to another news story of an armed robbery or assault. I started talking to some people I work with and they say it has gotten worse over the last few years. Cops say it is the economy.

I have tried really hard not to obsess over this. I have tried even harder to focus on the good and not the bad. Unfortunately, both of my jobs are in the thick of all of it. Both of my jobs are in Downtown Tulsa. Both of them require me to walk at least 2 blocks to and from my car and my part time job requires me to do this at the midnight hour. I have found myself running to my car at night, probably bringing more attention to myself, but the sooner I get there the better.

Regardless of my paranoia everywhere I go and constantly not feeling safe, yesterday I let down my gaurd. I was excited to get home since we had company and wasn't really paying that much attention to my surroundings. My car was in the middle of the lot surrounded by three other cars. As I had entered the lot I noticed a guy that didn't look like the normal business man, but didn't think anything of it since he appeared to be leaving the lot. Next thing I know I am in my car getting my phone out of my pocket and turning my music on when I notice in my side view mirror that man approaching my car and reaching for my door. I was panicking because I couldn't go far very fast with cars on all sides of me so I just threw my car in reverse and stepped on the gas. The guy kinda went back all clumsy like and gave me a look like you almost ran over me. I put my car in drive and sped off quickly.

Now he may of been just trying to ask for money or something, but I'm sorry, you don't quietly follow a girl to her car by herself and expect her not to almost run over you! My heart was nearly beating out of my chest. Now I tell you all of this to get to the real point of this post.

It made my heart swell with happiness when I told Zeb this and his number one priority was my safety. I know that seems like it should be a "duh", but come on now. Zeb isn't the most verbal about things and especially not feelings. I know I am important to him and I know he cares about me, but I guess since he doesn't say those things a lot, watching him go into mission mode after this incident made me feel like I have not only a husband, but a hero. He went to two different places last night looking for pepper spray and talking to a guy about the best one. After finding out that the best one was going to require going to a store not very close to where we live, he went first thing this morning and dropped it off to me at work. He told me he got the red one so it is bright and people will see it. His thoughtfulness and priority to provide something to help me be safer was so what I needed.

I may be completely terrified of this city, but watch out man in the parking lot because I am now armed thanks to my sweet, sweet husband. I know I could take care of myself, but there is just something comforting about knowing you have someone on your side that wants to take care of you too.

Thanks for this one God. You really know how to pick'em!

No comments: