Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Hasting Kind of Day

A hastings kind of a day....those were the only words I had to say to Zeb on Sunday for him to know exactly how we would be spending our afternoon. Those words meant that we would spend the afternoon immersed in books with the faint smell of coffee in the background. In reality, I would spend my time strolling through aisles of magazines and books until I had picked up so many that my arms might fall off. Then, I would find two chairs for Zeb and I to lounge in. I would read and he would nap. Occasionally I would interrupt his sleep with something cool and interesting for him to see! I love our Hastings days!


Those days remind me of my days in Arizona. I remember going to Barnes & Noble with my sisters and being given a time limit. They would tell me, "Ok Sasha you have 30 minutes and then we are leaving". I always convinced them to stay longer, but it was always fun! They would laugh at me because I would be so entertained by the tons and tons of books. I used to wish I had the power to speed read just to absorb the information from all the books that caught my interest. I miss those days with my amazing sisters!


I couldn't tell you exactly what it is about the book stores that I love so much. Maybe it's the smell of all the printed pages that were put together by brilliant writers world wide. Maybe it's the mystery of all the information in one central location. Maybe it is just the relaxing feeling that is felt when entering a book store. I will tell you this though, I know that I love the stimulation that comes from those days in the book stores. Briefing books and pondering the thoughts that were read stimulate my mind. I would compare it to the way a photographer feels in a dark room, an artist in front of a blank canvas, a musician with a guitar, a barista with a coffee cup. These things stimulate their mind to create something beautiful. I am not sure what my Hastings days will create or whether it will ever be anything beautiful, so for now I will just continue to enjoy the creations of others. Books, Coffee, and time well spent with a very special person.




No comments: