Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Distractions

Sunday was just like any other Sunday. I got up at about 8:30. I took a shower and ate some breakfast. Danced around while getting ready and then was off to church at about 9:52, just in time to park and grab some coffee before the service started at 10. I love my Sundays. I love worship and the people at my church. I love the kids I serve and Pastor Craig. I'm rarely disturbed or bothered on my sunday mornings.

This Sunday felt different though. I did not experience worship the same and I could hardly focus while Pastor Craig spoke. God had his own message for me that morning and it was not coming through my pastor. This message was weighing on my heart. I was distracted. I was so upset and bothered by myself. Afterwards, I told Zeb that I felt disconnected with God. I told him about how my heart was carrying a heavy burden that morning and it was going to take a lot to lift it. He wanted to know more and how to fix it, but I couldn't explain it right then.

Monday night I went to Lifegroup. This is a group of women that I spend time with every Monday night reading the bible and praying with. We talk about our weeks. We celebrate special occasions together and just support one another. Last night we talked about the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42. This is the story of Jesus and his disciples. They visited Mary and Martha at their home. When they stopped in Mary sat at Jesus' feet, while Martha kept trying to make sure everything was perfect. She remained busy. Jesus told Martha "You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed"(41-42).

That is when it hit me. This burden on my heart was God telling me to focus on him instead of the many other things that I have been worried about. I felt like Jesus was talking to me right then. Sasha, Sasha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. JESUS! I had been completely distracted by so many things going on in my life that I had been neglecting the one thing I need...my savior.

Its only been a little over a week since I got engaged, but I had let it consume me. I had spent the whole week on details of wedding venue, dresses, photography, catering, and anything else you could think of. I hadn't even taken a second to praise God for this step in my life. I hadn't taken any time to talk to God about what this will look like in my life. Like Martha I had been caught up in the details of everything.

Zeb and I are so excited to spend the rest of our lives together, but we cannot forget to seek and praise God. While wedding planning is fun we can't forget that we have a lifetime of a marriage to prepare for as well. Therefore, this is my prayer...

God, focus my heart.
Thank you for reminding me of your grace.
Thank you for pulling me back in and helping me to realize the most important thing which is your love.
I pray that you would continue to wake me up.
I pray that you would prepare Zeb and I for a marriage that honors you and you alone.
I pray that we would not crave the things of this world for our wedding, but that we would crave you and your presence on our special day.
I pray that financial struggles a long the way would not cause turmoil, but in those moments of stress that we would seek your guidance.
Keep our eyes on you Lord and your purpose for us as a couple.
We love you and thank you for all that you are.
Amen

No comments: