Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I Beg to Differ


I smiled when I heard the dial-up noise in the movie "The Proposal".
I laughed when Pastor Craig made a reference to cassette players and then told us not to pretend we knew what he was talking about.
I liked walking my electric bill up to the city building.
I would rather put my tithe in that little bucket at church then hit the submit button online.
I love checking my mailbox, getting mail, and sending mail.
I enjoy time spent playing board games.
I cherish the moments that remind me of the old and not the new.

I wish kids still ran free through their neighborhoods til dusk.
I would love for my neighbor to knock on my door and ask for an egg.
I do not think I would mind rewinding and fast forwarding a tape.
It would be awesome to hear carolers in the night outside my door.
It is annoying that black Friday starts at midnight now instead of 4 AM.

I may not be very old, but I am old enough to know that I miss the slower days. While my days were probably faster than the ones my parents or grand-parents knew, I know that they are only getting faster. I hate to think what my kids will experience. My efforts to slow down are strictly personal preference and far from the norm. The world is already on fast forward and my guess is it won't be rewinding anytime soon. I do not hate all of what today has become, for a lot of it is present in my day to day life. I enjoy Internet on my phone just as much as the next person. I rarely stop for a stroll through the park. I am as guilty as they come, but I feel I have been convicted.

My plea is to return to a day when neighbors were friends and Monopoly was enough. People weren't dying for the biggest, fastest, and most expensive item on the market. This day would include time to read to your children and cook a meal from scratch. It would include watching a garden grow and holding hands in prayer. On this day people would be happy and living without debt because they're need for instant satisfaction would be no longer. Work would not be the ruler of they're lives. Families would share their time with others and work hard for what they have. Oh what a day this would be.

Technically, I am a millennial that does not value any of this.

I beg to differ.

No comments: