Sunday, November 28, 2010

Perfect Timing

This weekend Zeb and I headed to Liberal, Kansas for Thanksgiving. Many of you may not know this, but Liberal is a special place for us. Liberal, Kansas is what initially bonded Zeb and I. In our very first conversation ever I asked Zeb where he was from and he about blew me out of my seat (I am not sure I was sitting, but you get the idea) when he said Liberal. This is a very small town in the very southwest corner of Kansas and it just happens to be where I was born. You can see why I was surprised. God planned that and it makes me smile.

So, we went to Liberal and spent the weekend with Zeb's family, my Grandma, Aunt, and little cousin. It was fun, filling, and completely relaxing. We played games as we normally do, ate lots of food, enjoyed various bottles of wine, and shared recent happenings in each other's lives. I cherish these moments probably more than I show, but they really are so precious to me.

On the way back I decided to take over driving the last half to allow Zeb to sleep and this is when I got lost in my thoughts. I remember driving to Liberal for the first time from Stillwater. I loved this drive now just as much as I did then. The scenery on that drive would not be much to most that drive it, but to me it is so special. I love the farms, ranches, animal life, green grass that Zeb informed me is wheat, and the open land. I love how simple it looks and feels. I am thankful for that drive and the places it takes me in my mind.

I will tell you what I am not thankful for and that is the wild cat we hit shortly after getting out of Liberal. Zeb tried to miss it, but it did not happen. I was completely traumatized. I buried my face in my hands and broke into tears. Zeb was so sweet in the way he tried to comfort me. He said, "Babe don't cry. It was a wild cat. It would have probably bit you if you tried to pet it anyway." He really has a way of making situations better. ;)

Finally, I have a blog project coming December 1st. I will give you more details later, but it is something I have been working on over the past week. I am not sure how you will like it or what it will end up being like, but I am excited about it. Stay tuned.

No comments: