Friday, August 12, 2011

A Leap of Faith


Yesterday I got a call from the United Way of Tulsa. They were calling to offer me the position that I had recently interviewed for. Today I accepted and on August 29th I will start my new role as a Loaned Executive. I will get into the details of that in a minute, but first I thought I would let you know what led us down this path.

Zeb had been searching for an internship to complete his final hours of his Aviation degree. He was offered an internship position in Tulsa at Omni Air International. This is a private chartering company that will allow him to learn about their operations department. They are also a debt free company which I just think is AWESOME! He starts on Monday.

We had went back and forth on whether to move all the way to Tulsa, halfway to Tulsa, or stay in Stillwater. When we made the decision to move to Tulsa we were then faced with the dilemma of what I would do. I could either commute an hour and a half one way twice a day for the next 5 months or I could job search in Tulsa. Since we knew he would be done in December and beginning his own job search it was hard for me to know whether to find a full time professional position or just something to get us through. Then God popped in and reminded me He was still there with a plan in mind if I was willing to listen.

That is how I was led to the United Way position. It is perfect because it is a temporary position that provides monetarily and professionally like a full time job. It runs August 29th thru November 18th. I will be assigned to 100 or so companies and help them complete a successful United Way campaign. I will provide fundraising ideas, do presentations for their employees, or just provide materials for them to complete their fundraiser.

I am beyond excited about this opportunity for a few reasons. First, I get to assist in reaching the goal of raising $24.5 million dollars in 2 months. WOAH! That just sounds crazy! But, these are dollars that will put resources into a jobless person's hands to help them become employed again. They are dollars that will provide a safe place for a woman and her children to go when experiencing abuse. They are dollars that will allow food and blankets to be purchased and distributed to the family that has been misplaced due to a catastrophe. These dollars will provide 61 Tulsa agencies with the money they need in order to continue to help the less fortunate in our community. These dollars make me happy to raise and the agencies have a special place in my heart. God created me to do work like this.

I am also excited because of the amount of networking I will get to do. This is a great opportunity to meet many different people at all different levels of the organizations in Tulsa. This could be a great asset when starting my next job search in just a few short months. Finally, I am excited because it is completely different than what I thought I would be doing and it makes me wonder what is up God's sleeve next. It makes me wonder what great plan He has for me and where He will take me. It also makes me cling even more to Him because the unknown is scary and I can't get there without His hand in mine.

Zeb and I are certainly taking a leap of faith and trusting that our perfect and loving provider will continue to provide for us, but in the mean time prayers are welcomed.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight"-Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment:

Jill N Powell said...

I'm so excited for you!!!!!! We need a phone date catch up. I know your life is crazy right now and mine is starting to wind down. But I heart you and I was so happy to read this!