Sunday, September 18, 2011

Life is Flying By

It is hard to believe I am approaching week 4 of my 12 week assignment at the United Way. I have learned so much already and yet have plenty to learn. I am just beginning the hard part of the job where I have to go out and hopefully get new donors to the United Way campaign. I am making presentations regularly to various firms to tell the United Way story and learning more about other agencies in the Tulsa area. I have joined the Women's Leadership Council as well. This is a new effort by the United Way to get more women in the community involved in leadership roles at the United Way. It is an excellent way to meet some older and more established women in the community. I am loving it.

I am also working my second job still as well. I am also loving this. I am working as a hostess at Lucky's, which is a local restaurant in Tulsa. Fridays thru Mondays I am working my tail off and while I am completely surrounded by people that I would probably otherwise never hang out with, I am enjoying it quite a bit. I just work hard, smile, and do what I am asked.

Zeb and I have been spending what little time we do have together exploring Tulsa. We like just driving around and seeing what is hiding in local strip malls. We laugh because we are like tourists everywhere we go. I am also gearing up for my first 10K run on October 1st at the Tulsa Zoo. I am not sure I am completely prepared to run 6 miles, but I am going to do my very best! If I do well, my next challenge will be a half-marathon.

Finally, I have felt really moved by our current series at church called, "Change Your World in 52 Days". It is all about what burdens God has placed on your heart to change this world. God has placed many burdens on my heart including helping women and children in abusive environments, helping kids have permanent homes, being debt free, and loving people instead of things. I am praying through a lot of this stuff to know my place in it all. God has put us all here for a reason and he has placed certain burdens on our heart because he has given us a specific skill set or experiences to master those burdens. Like Craig said, we don't have to be the best to change the world, we just have to care the most. What do you care about more than most others and enough to actually do something about? Someone has got to do something about it, might as well be YOU!

October is quickly arriving. Pumpkin Spice Latte's are already in. It makes me so happy to think about fall festivals, chili cook offs, haunted houses, pumpkin patches, and all the other things that come with Fall. Breathe it in. Life is good.

No comments: