Monday, September 19, 2011

People Magnet

"When you spend time with the Lord, you're like a people magnet. They won't know why they like you-they just will"

I was sent that this morning from my sweet friend, Shelby. I worked with her at OSU and she had this daily calendar that has short quotes like that one to remind you Jesus' love. She would send me the daily quotes and I loved them. Well since I have left, she still sends them and I still love them. Thank you Shelby. You are a beautiful picture of a great friend and sister in Christ!

I am one of those people that is easily influenced by the people surrounding me. Have you ever been around someone that just finds the dark cloud in every situation? Have you ever been around someone that emanates light into every situation? Well I think in this life it is easy to fall into either circumstance depending on who you are surrounding yourself with and the activities you are participating in. I remember a few weeks ago when Pastor Craig talked about your "crowd" and asked all of us to list the 5 people that speak the most into our life. Based off those 5 people he could tell you the direction you were headed in life.

Imagine how different situations or circumstances might look if we were constantly surrounded by Jesus. Imagine what it would look like if I dove daily into God's word and constantly lived in a state of prayer. I might not be so easily influenced by the people surrounding me. I might not care so much what they thought of me. I might smile more and spread love. I might live without judgement of others and their life.

I remember what this looked like to a very small degree when I was being intentional with my time over the summer. It was short lived, but I was inspired to try to live my life in constant awareness of the grace and mercy God has shown me. Because of that awareness I was more easily able to show it to others. I failed to live it out longer than a few days, but I am glad to have gotten a glimpse. That small glimpse allowed me to desire it more everyday. Desire less of the lower things of this world and more of the higher things of God.

As humans it is so easy for us to lose sight of the forever land promised and focus on the immediate world in front of us. God knows this. He knows we will trip up and He knew that long ago when He gave his son for us. It was a gift to us that we can delight in and celebrate. We don't have to live in shame because of our daily mistakes or forgetfulness. We get to live in constant happiness knowing that He still loves us just the same. And when we surround ourselves with Jesus, more and more, when we read His word, more and more, we will attract others by His love that emanates off of us. They won't know why they are attracted to us, but they will just know that there is something different and special and they like it.

Spend time with Jesus today and let it shine!

No comments: