Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Its a Whole New World

It has been a week and a day since I started my new position at the United Way and I guess that is why I haven't had any time to post or read. At least that is my excuse. Last week was all training and while almost everyday I was done before 5 my mind was fatigued and I just couldn't get it in me to come home and write. Today though I want to share what it has been like.

Monday was agency day. The United Way raises $24,556,573 for 61 agencies in the Tulsa area because that is at least what they need. They could use more, but that is the bare minimum. Yes...I have memorized that number and that is just this year's goal. Every year it is different. So on Monday we got to travel around Tulsa all day to 5 different UW agencies. We visited Youth Services of Tulsa, Bridges, Life Senior Services, The Salvation Army, and The Tulsa Day Center for the Homeless. Wow. I was humbled completely. Allow these numbers to illustrate a very small percentage of the need in Tulsa.

Life Senior Services took 9,000 phone calls in 2010 on their Lifeline.

Youth Services saw 3,600 youth come through their drop in center last year.

Bridges has 150 clients that are developmentally disabled. They give them a way to earn money with small tasks.

The Salvation Army serves at least 800 meals a day in Tulsa.

The Day Center filters on average 400 homeless people through their building in a single day.

Imagine what Tulsa would look like without those services....I can't even imagine. That is only 5 of the 61 agencies. I walked away Monday with a yearn to fund raise like never before.

Tuesday was pretty basic stuff. Wednesday we got to spend the day at the Tulsa Boys Home. This place and the Executive Director pretty much rock. They have space for up to 64 boys in their facility. 40 have been severely abused and removed from their home at a young age. They come from the State and 24 suffer with a drug or alcohol addiction. All of these boys are between the ages of 11 and 17. Their treatment program is top of the line and they use a horse therapy to get through to some of the boys. Another picture of how important my job will be over the next 12 weeks. We finished the day with mock presentations and a graduation.

Thursday and Friday were the beginnings of getting introduced to our work space and the divisions we would be working with. I am assigned to the Attorneys and Accountants of Tulsa. I have 61 Accountant firms and 168 Attorney firms. Our combined goal is $800,000. Only 40 of the Accountant firms and 60 of the Attorney firms have actually given in the past. That leaves me with a lot of work to do before November 10th.

It seems overwhelming sometimes, but when I think about those clients I heard about and the people I saw while visiting the agencies I am easily motivated. I know God has put me in this place for these 12 weeks for a reason and I am excited to do His work.

I am loving this so far. For the first time in a long time I feel like I am doing something that I am proud of and happy to be doing. I hope this is just the beginning of something great. Please be praying over the next 12 weeks that I exceed my division goal. I am praying for some new donors and a 10% overall increase in our money. God is good!

Have a great week friends!

1 comment:

PK said...

I literally got chills. Sasha you are doing some work in Tulsa! I know this isn't just a job for you, but something you are passionate about. I know God is going to challenge and grow you more than you can think, but I also know you are going to challenge others. Stay focused on your purpose, don't get frustrated when something doesn't go right...just turn to Him.
Love you!