Monday, February 27, 2012

Serious Satisfaction

This weekend I realized two very important things.

1. Pushing yourself to achieve goals can provide enormous satisfaction.
2. A support network can be critical to those goals.

Saturday I ran 8 miles. That is the most I have ever run...EVER! I mean in one journey of course. I ran 8 miles with an average pace of about 11:50 and finished in 1 hour and 33 minutes. Now let me tell you why this run made me realize my two points above.

I used to think about running. I thought about it a lot in fact. I thought how cool it would be to run 13.1 miles and I thought I would never run 26.2 miles so I tried not to think about how cool that would be. I often thought about these things, but never imagined actually doing it. At the beginning of January I started fully training for my half-marathon. 2 miles? 2 miles was hard! I mean...like unfathomable! I could walk it and that was if I got my head in the game, but to actually run it and do it in less than 13 minutes a mile was pretty much off the radar. Well I continued to push myself.

This month was intimidating because I knew I was going to be making some big mileage jumps. Not only was I going to be running more, but it was February in Oklahoma. Since I wouldn't have a gym to run at to avoid the cold weather, I would have to face it. Truth be told I despise running on a treadmill so there is a rose amongst the thorns, but I was terrified. It was three weeks ago from yesterday that I faced my fear. I ran 5 miles in 35 degrees. And I felt great! After that I just knew I could do anything. It has really been my fuel for the fire. Since then my average pace has already gone down by a whole minute on most runs. I am no longer scared of my half-marathon. In fact I am totally pumped and can't wait to begin training for my full marathon. Pushing myself and seeing what my body and internal strength is capable of has been rewarding.

Back to Saturday. I ran those 8 miles with two very close friends; Pat and Kali Bell. This couple is awesome! Can I just say that again? This couple is awesome! They have been running a whole lot longer than me. They ran their first half marathon in November and will run their first full marathon this weekend in Little Rock! They needed a short and slow run to do this last weekend so they nominated me to be their pace keeper!! I'm kidding, but seriously I was so nervous to run with them because they are basically pros in my eyes.

I kept putting off actually confirming to run with them because I was trying to convince myself I couldn't. I told myself every excuse in the book; "I will slow them down", "I won't be able to finish", "I will breathe hard". You name it, I thought it. I told Kali my fears and she approached it with so much grace. She said, "hey, we would love to run with you but no pressure." I guess the no pressure thing worked because I ended up saying yes. I am so glad I did! They were so supportive the entire run. Kali kept randomly cheering through out the run. Pat reminded me over and over that this was the longest I had ever run after the 6 mile mark. And they both high fived me at the end. This couple is awesome!

I am beyond happy with the progress I have made in my running and the friends that God has sent me as support along the way. I am now completely confident in the fact that I could run 26.2 miles and I think about it too!

1. Set a goal that will push you to a place you never thought you could go.
2. Find a friend that will support you and your goal.

1 comment:

PK said...

You my friend are too kind! We had so much fun running with you! You continue to push through and break down those walls in EVERY circumstance! It's amazing to see! Thanks for your sweet words and encouragement :)
xoxo